CALIFORNIA Supplemental Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), as amended and supplemented by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020, gives consumers that reside in California, and whose data is subject to the CCPA, the right to know what personal information HM Insurance Group (HMIG) collects about them, their rights under the CCPA, and how to enforce those rights.
Personal Information under the CCPA includes information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly with a particular consumer or household. The CCPA does not apply to health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data. This California Supplemental Privacy Notice does not apply to data exempted from the CCPA, and other privacy policies, such as a HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices, may apply instead.
HMIG does not offer financial incentives for the collection or sale of Personal Information. We also will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
All companies need to collect consumers’ Personal Information for everyday business purposes, including but not limited to delivering services, marketing, and maintenance of the safety, security, and integrity of their websites and other assets, among other reasons. This California Supplemental Privacy Notice provides the information required under the CCPA and applies to both HMIG’s online and offline activities.
CCPA NOTICE ON COLLECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. If you are a California consumer, the following table details how we collect and use your Personal Information:
Everyday Business Purposes encompasses the Business Purposes (as defined in the CCPA) and the following related purposes for which Personal Information may be used:
- For identity and credential management, including identity verification and authentication, and system and technology administration;
- To protect the security and integrity of systems, networks, applications and data, including detecting, analyzing and resolving security threats, and collaborating with cybersecurity centers, consortia and law enforcement about imminent threats;
- For fraud detection and prevention;
- For legal and regulatory compliance, including all uses and disclosures of Personal Information that are required by law or reasonably needed for compliance with company policies and procedures, security and incident response programs, intellectual property protection programs, and corporate ethics and compliance hotlines, as well as for compliance with civil, criminal, judicial, or regulatory inquiries, investigations, subpoenas, or summons;
- To exercise or defend the legal rights of HMIG and its employees, affiliates, customers, contractors, and agents;
- To comply with applicable laws;
- For corporate audit, analysis and reporting;
- To de-identify the data or create aggregated datasets, such as for consolidated reporting, research or analytics;
- To make back-up copies for business continuity and disaster recovery purposes; and
- For corporate governance, including mergers, acquisitions and
HMIG does not sell or share your Personal Information and will not sell your Personal Information unless we modify this California Supplemental Privacy Notice and take the additional steps required under the CCPA. HMIG does not have actual knowledge that it sells or shares the personal information of consumers under 16 years of age. HMIG does not disclose your Sensitive Personal Information.
In addition, California consumers have certain rights with respect to HMIG’s use and disclosure of Personal Information:
- Right of Access | Right to Notice. If you are a California consumer, you have the right to request that HMIG disclose to you:
- the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you, the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which the Personal Information is collected, the business purpose or commercial purpose for collecting or selling or sharing Personal Information, the categories of third parties with whom we share Personal Information, the categories of Personal Information we have disclosed about you for a business
- a copy of the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you in the preceding 12 months.
- Right to Deletion. If you are a California consumer, you have the right to request that HMIG delete the Personal Information we collect from However, in certain situations we are not required to delete your Personal Information, such as when the information is necessary in order to complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, to provide a good or service requested by you, to comply with a legal obligation, to engage in research, to secure our websites or other online services, or to otherwise use your Personal Information internally in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
- Right to Correct Inaccurate Personal Information. If you are a California consumer, you have the right to have HMIG correct inaccurate Personal Information that we maintain about you.
- Right Not to Be Subject to Discrimination. HMIG shall not discriminate against a consumer because the consumer exercised any of the consumer’s California rights described
To exercise any of the rights described above, you can call us at 833-777-5785 or visit
We will collect some Personal Information about you, such as your name, phone number, physical address, and email address, so that we can search this information against our systems to validate your identity. You can also direct any questions or concerns regarding your CCPA rights to us by calling the phone number listed above.
Effective date: January 1, 2020
Last revised date: June 6, 2023